If you already have a car driving licence then you can ride a 50cc moped without L plates and this is broken down by the date you passed.

  • If you passed your driving test before 1 February 2001 then you don’t need to take a CBT and should already have the entitlement on your licence to ride a moped. It is advised that you take the CBT anyway as this provides great safety and awareness training.
  • If you passed on or after 1 February 2001 then you will need to take a CBT test, but this difference it that your CBT certificate will be valid for as long as your driving licence as opposed to the general 2 year rule for CBT certificates.


Posted in: Requirements